If your laptop touchpad is not working, it might be a tricky situation for many users whose works completely depends on the laptop. Users would lose the power of their system as no standard, or latest technology computers can perform appropriately without having a pointing device. However, the reason behind this issue might be software or hardware of the Windows 10 device. Though the issues are quite ordinary and encounter by many other users across the globe, nevertheless, it is uncommon that the touchpad’s hardware might have gone in very bad condition. Mostly, users can resolve this issues just by enable the touchpad of their laptops.
Causes of Laptop Touchpad Not Working Properly
Here are some most ordinary reasons for the touchpad of your laptop is not working properly:
- Possibly, the touchpad’s switch located on the keyboard of your laptop might be OFF. Press that button to Switched On the touchpad’s switch.
- It might be possible that the touchpad’s drivers are outdated.
- Laptop users might have modified the touchpad settings.
For resolving this issue, we suggest you connect a peripheral mouse to your laptop just to use as a pointer when the touch-pad is not working properly. Follow the below-given steps sequentially to avoid trouble and unnecessary errors. Here how to do it:
- Carefully Check Substantial Switch for Touchpad.
- Use Devices and Hardware Troubleshooter.
- Update Touchpad Drivers
Below we discuss these steps in details just to help you in every possible manner, follow up these methods one by one so that one should surely work.
Method-1: Carefully Check Substantial Switch for Touchpad
Most of the laptops have keyboards which have a switch or move the key to enable the touchpad On/Off. Just to switch it On, hit the Fn key and the function key related to touchpad located on your keyboard.
Method-2: Use Devices and Hardware Troubleshooter
The Hardware and devices troubleshooter help the users in checking and rectifying some common issues and also preventing hardware elements from working properly. For running it, follow the steps which are mentioned below:
- Tap on the ‘Start’ tab and move to the ‘Settings’ option.
- Under the Settings section, choose the ‘Updates and Security’ option.
- Choose the ‘Troubleshoot’ option.
- After that, choose ‘Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter’ from the list appears on the screen and click to run it.
- Finally, restart your laptop and check if the problem is resolved or not. If not, try using the next method.
Method-3: Update Touchpad Drivers
The touchpad drivers will help your laptop to communicate between software and software easily. If your driver is not updated or upgraded for a very long time, they can affect your work and in these situations, update your touchpad by below-mentioned steps:
- Press Windows + R keys altogether to start the Run command box.
- Under the ‘Run’ command box, type the following command ‘devmgmt.msc.’
- Tap the ‘Enter’ key to launch the ‘Device Manager’ on the screen.
- Inside the Device Manager, click to expand ‘Mice and other pointing devices.’
- Right-press the touchpad driver on your laptop and choose ‘Update Driver.’
- One can also choose ‘Downloading the Drivers’ direct from the official websites and install them into your laptop.
Peter Rose is a self-professed security expert; he has been making the people aware of the security threats. His passion is to write about Cyber security, cryptography, malware, social engineering, internet and new media. He writes for Norton security products at norton.com/setup.
source: Laptop Touchpad