Congratulations, you got admission to the University of your choice, Pretty excited about this chapter of your fabulous book? Well, there is so much to prepare for now, including shopping, essential documents, stationery items, city guide, clothes, and many more.
Are you assuming everything in your room as an essential item to keep in your suitcase when you are moving abroad? Are you counting your days anxiously till you finally depart? We understand "what should I pack" is the toughest part of the process. But, Not anymore!
We are going to help you with this essential check-list. You want to make the most of your time studying abroad, and a carefully planned essentials list will help you do that.
Before moving out, could you give it a look once?
There are many factors you need to consider when you are packing for study abroad like Location of the University, Weather, length of your stay abroad, area of your accommodation - Are there general stores or not. You don't need to load your suitcases with bottles of shampoos, and extra facial creams! Well, there is one more thing you need to keep in mind- How much luggage you are bringing, as each airline has different baggage requirements. (don't get hit with overweight baggage fees)
1) STATIONARY ESSENTIALS-
Don't remember what you studied while giving that exam? You don't want to be quiet when you are asked by the new teacher! First impression is the last impression. Not always, though. But keep those notes with you, that might help you with assignments, and exams.
The main reason you are moving abroad is to study!
- Pen, pencil, ruler, eraser etc.
- Your important revision notes.
- Books from the reading list.
- Everything is digital nowadays, But It'd be good if you keep the bilingual dictionary as well.
- City guide, map etc.
- Information on public transport from the airport and around town
- Don't forget your diary; you can write your reminders, feelings, poems or doodles whatever you want!
2) CLOTHES AND ACCESSORIES TO PACK!
Sad that you cannot keep all your favourite cool printed T-shirts, Tired of deciding your formalwear out of so many you have already! You don't have to pack loads of it to last the whole semester. The clothing you bring will totally depend on the climate there!
- Your standard t-shirts, shirts, all go-to clothes.
- Comfortable travel clothes.
- Light jackets, sweaters and hoodies.
- Workout clothing.
- Outfit for a Formal occasion.
- Scarf/ hats/ caps
- Heavy coat for chilly weather
- Comfortable nightwear
- Sport shoes
- Classy footwear
3) DON'T FORGET THESE IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS -
Make sure you pack these documents in your carry-on luggage, you can take cross-body bag to prevent theft.
- Passport + Visa
- Driving license, Student ID or any other identification.
- Copies of your Passport, Visa and ID
- Letter of acceptance from the University or any other document from the University.
- Travel insurance details.
Well, my suggestion is not to keep anything extra! Don't load your bag with all these items as you can buy them there as well! Don't add unnecessary weight.
I repeat, DON'T KEEP TOO MANY OF IT.
- Travel-size shampoo, conditioner
- Small size body wash
- Moisturising lotions
- Toothbrush, toothpaste and floss
- Feminine products
- Medications or prescriptions.
Pack toiletries enclosed in a bag, wrap them thoroughly.
5) ELECTRONIC ITEMS
- Keep your laptop with a few downloaded movies.
- Your phone, How are you going to stay connected to your family and friends? Well, why am I even reminding you this, you won't forget to keep your phone obviously.
- Your journey will be super boring without your earphones/ headphones. Keep them and listen to your updated playlist.
- Your phone charger, Universal adapter and Portable Power bank.
- Camera, to keep your memories with you forever!
Don't forget to keep your credit or debit card and cash in the host currency.
6) PACK SOME OF YOUR FAVOURITE HOME COMFORTS!
Make sure you bring your favourite comforter, teddy bear and coffee mug. It is easier to beat homesickness if you have something to make your new room feel more like home. Going away from home for the first time can be a bit complicated sometimes, Get things which can help you not feel that way and cheer you up when you are going to that low zone.
There might be some possibility that you don't get your favourite snacks out there, Keep those candies, chocolates, chips and cookies, Get those ready to make and surprise your friends by making a delicious meal for them! But Don't overload your bag with these.
Also, keep those small locks for zippers on your bags, and ribbon, tag or anything which can help you identify your suitcase!
Well, This is a surprise for all the readers, I know you weren’t expecting it. I am going to tell you the 5 must-have apps you can use when you are going to study abroad!
- Duolingo - It is the most popular and best-known language learning app.
- HeadSpace- HEADSPACE is the meditation app with guided exercises to calm your mind; If you are having trouble with stress, You will benefit from it.
- Mint- Mint is the most-recommended money app because it is user-friendly, free, secure and easy to operate no matter where you are in the world.
- Unidays- Unidays brings the best college discount online and in-store with all the popular brands and merchants in many varieties, including fashion, entertainment and technology, you just need to be a student.
- AmberStudent- No, It's not an app. But you can find many accommodation options on AmberStudent according to your budget and other preferences. Also, you will get free personal assistance too!
Tadaaaa! I hope this will help you with packing and I am sure you will have an unforgettable and hassle-free stay abroad, ALL THE BEST!