In today’s world Android has emerged as the most prominent open ecosystem with over 3 million apps. Many of these apps are the center of attraction for users of different platforms. One of them is Linux users. If you are a Linux user and want to enjoy the applications that run on Android, you can do so by following a few simple steps on your Linux device. Already several options are available for running android apps on different platforms. We can take an example of BlueStacks that is used for running android apps on Windows and macOS, but it is not available for Linux. So, the best layer to date for running Android apps on Linux is Anbox. It is a free, open-source cloud computing platform like Wine (a compatibility layer that is free and is an open-source layer that helps users in running windows apps on Linux). With Anbox, you can run Android mobile applications on Linux with ease and that too without emulation. You can download Anbox for PCs and laptops also as it works pretty well on both.
Installing Anbox on Linux
- To install and use Anbox on your Linux device, you need to install Anbox’s Snap package along with the necessary kernel module. For installing the snaps, snapd service is required. To install snapd, you can use the command:
- sudo apt install snapd
- Once you have installed snapd on your Linux PC, you may now install Anbox setup with the command:
- snap install –classic anbox-installer && anbox-installer
- You will have to enter a password when a pop up appears, which will download the snap package. Within some time, two options will appear:
- “Install Anbox” and “Uninstall Anbox” You need to click on the Install Anbox option and agree with the terms and conditions, and after doing so, reboot the system. With these steps, Anbox will get installed on your Linux PC.
Installing Apps Through Anbox
On clicking the folder, you will find various applications that your android handset has by default. To download any games or any other apps other than the default applications, you will have to download the apk files that are related to that application you want to download. You will have to download apps by this process only because you cannot have direct access to Google Play through Anbox. After downloading the apk files and installing the applications, you may use them like the way you use them in your Android devices.
Alex Clara is a creative person who has been writing blogs and articles about cyber security. She writes about the latest updates regarding mcafee.com/activate and how it can improve the work experience of users. Her articles have been published in many popular e-magazines, blogs and websites.
Source : Linux