Project Treble provides many benefits for the custom ROM and Android modding community. The Project Treble users can flash ROMs without doing the vendor partition; this means custom ROM developers do not have to go through the Hardware Abstraction Layers and proprietary drivers. Here’s how to install GSI ROM on your Android Device.
For devices which are officially compatible Project Treble
• Firstly, you have to unlock the device boot loader in case you have not done already.
• Start downloading the selected GSI on the computer.
• You need to flash AOSP ROM or other GSI versions such as LineageOS or Resurrection Remix.
• The ROM you are downloading should have GSI.
• You need to download the right ROM for the partition and architecture type of the device.
For devices which can be unofficially compatible Project Treble
• You need to unlock the device bootloader.
• Check the menu list of all the unofficially compatible Project Treble devices.
• In case you get Project Treble devices on the menu, press on the source link.
• Go through the guidelines for the device.
• Start downloading the GSI ROM as per your wish to the system.
Flash the GSI Image with TWRP
• Start transferring the GSI picture from the computer to the phone.
• Begin the rebooting process of the device into the TWRP.
• Press on the Install option.
• It is located on the main window.
• In case you don’t get the file which you have transferred, then start changing the type from the zip to image.
• Select for flashing the picture to the PC.
• After completing this procedure, start rebooting the system.
• It will take a few minutes to get complete.
• It will start booting into a new ROM.
Flash the Generic System Image without TWRP
• Once you have done the factory reset of the device, start rebooting it into the bootloader through the keys combination of the device
• Otherwise, you can do it with ADB reboot bootloader.
• After clicking on the bootloader mode, pair the Android device to the system through USB.
• Open the ADB terminal on the system.
• Add the GSI picture which you want to flash in the ADB pathway.
• Type the command fastboot erase system in the search box.
• Start using fastboot -u flash system name_of_system.img
• Change “name_of_system.img” with the GSI picture filename.
• Once the device is paired to the system, go to the command prompt.
• Otherwise, open the terminal menu.
• It is located in the directory where you have downloaded the GSI as per your wish.
• Type the mentioned command: fastboot erase system.
• Type the command in the given format fastboot -u flash system name_of_system.img
• After completing the flashing process, start rebooting the device with the command ‘fastboot reboot.’
• You need to boot your device into the Android phone.
Aurora is an engineer by day and writer by night. Previously, Aurora worked as a certified technicians for a tech hardware startup. In her free time, she likes to write about printers, routers, web browsers, and other technical stuff. She majorly writes for hp printer support, brother, Lexmark printer etc.