The security of the Google account matters a lot, and if you get to know that an unknown person is using your Gmail account, then the matter is serious. In this case, you have to take the necessary action towards checking the person who is using your account. It becomes important as the person, on the other hand, may affect your office conversation or send unwanted emails, chats, malicious items through your mail account. Your account or private information of documents might be in danger if you haven’t taken appropriate action. You have to investigate and check it out who is behind your mail using it without your prior consent.
Google provided a necessary and most important tool to detect unknown activity and users using your account without your permission. Follow these instructions to know it better how to handle this situation if your account is in danger:
Checking Recent Activity
- First and foremost, launch your Google mail and then Sign in.
- After that, scroll the inbox page to the bottom. Then, check the details link there situated at the right-hand side portion of your screen.
- Now, check the recent activity in your mail.
- This page will show you all the details related to Login information, such as the browser used for the opening of your mail, the IP address of the system on which it was accessed, and the time and time when it was last used. Check for any of the suspicious events or activities there with your mail.
- These data are stored on Google to provide you actual events and activities with their schedule. You can view the subject or content that was logged in with your account with the exact location.
Checking Gmail Related Information
If you are not satisfied with the details written above, then you can apply these points to check all the related activities with your account.
- Check that any of the security setups is updated through someone else such as contact details, two-factor verification, recovery mail account, etc.
- Have your data being stolen related to your bank and another confidential one such as bank account, home address, etc. as all these mails are saved in your mail ID. Email accounts are linked to all the govt and private services, so it becomes important to check it out to secure your account.
- Now, check out the deleted folder as you might fetch details that the unknown person used to fetch important details related to you.
What to Do if Gmail is Stolen?
In case you get to find that the important information is being used for various purposes through your Gmail account, then it is recommended to act swiftly to safeguard all your data in various ways. You have to lock your account, modify account passcode, etc. The person may have used all other applications related to Google like Google Photos, Google Business, etc.
You need to perform several strict actions on your Gmail account to safeguard your precious data. Here are the instructions to lock your Google Account in just a few steps:
Modifying Google Mail Passcode
The first move should be the modification in your Gmail password as this action will prevent the person not to log in to your account again to steal something new,
- Firstly, hit the Google Mail to open.
- Now, Sign in to Google security page there.
- After that, choose the option “Sign in to Google” and then hit the “password” option.
- Next, type your currently existing passcode.
- Then, hit the option for modifying your account passcode.
- Then, choose a new passcode for your account.
- Now, confirm the changes for your account.
Note: It is recommended to modify your passcode in some intervals to keep your account safe. It is also important for other accounts to which the Gmail account is attached.