This will be a long post . I was thinking about the how the market has been torn apart by inflation and the negative effect it has on the enjoyment of this game. Looking at other card based games there are some lessons to be learnt.
So here is a proposal which would mean that you reset your mind. In other words forget how it is today as there is no quick fix to this problem. Abuse of the web app will always happen, as security will always be a problem.
Let’s start by the first statement: NO TRADING MARKET. That is right, no market, no buying nor selling of players. There can only be two ways of getting new players; buying packs or crafting (will explain later). All the players you will pull, will not be eligible for trading anymore.
There are some great advantages by doing this. First of all for us the players:
- No inflation, level playing field. Everybody can get good teams without buying from coin sellers
- If you are not able to buy players you have to play with the players you have pulled => which will result in more variety of teams and players used. So no Ruby I am Your Whore in every second team you face.
- No coins sellers, players will buy more packs to pull better players = $ for EA
So what about duplicate players you pull (or for the sake of the discussion; players you don’t want to use)? You will still be able to discard them for dust. But here comes the ‘crafting’ option. With the dust you get from discarding you can craft a player you would like to have. Players will have a different discard value (dust value) for discarding but also for crafting. For example:
A low rated Gold player (75) will have 100 dust discard value, to craft this player you pay X times the discard value, for instance 7 times. In other words you need to discard 7 low rated Gold players to craft a low rated Gold player. You can attach different craft/discard value to players based on their rating. A 85 Gold rated player has for instance 500 discard dust but you need 4000 dust to craft it. Obviously the highest rated cards need the most dust to craft. This gives everybody the option to ‘craft’ in the end a Ronaldo instead of having to pay 15M in Fifa coins. These are just examples mainly meant to show the idea.
As for playing the game you should be rewarded in coins/packs as today but I think if EA would be a little more creative with the tourneys there are more options to earn players. For instance do a TOTW tourney every week. Reward is a certain TOTW player, this week for instance IF Candreva. IF players would have a higher dust discard than NIF players by the way. There is much room for improvement to make more interesting tourneys anyway. But that is something for another thread.
I know this sounds a bit strange at first, but if you gave it some thought you will see that for the enjoyment of the game this could be a big step forward. Would love to play more different teams/players than I do now.
This would also open the way for a Bronze/Silver seasons. Something EA doesn’t do now as it is afraid that it will lose income if everybody would play bronze (cheaper) instead of Golds. As there would be hardly a need to buy packs with $ if you play bronze only.
Some additional thoughts:
- No contracts anymore, players can play infinite number of games for you
- No fitness cards; never understood the idea behind this anyway. Everybody should be able to use their favourite team as much as possible.
- IF’s can be crafted throughout the year, even the TOTY/TOTS ones although they would cost more of course
- web app can be used for building your team, just not for trading anymore.
Just a thought and I would welcome (a meaningful) discussion