Choosing a smoky topaz is above all, as for other stones, a question of taste. But it is a beautiful transparent gem whose some specimens present an intense color and at an affordable price including for a size (dimension) important especially the blue ones.
You can use our advice to choose a gemstone.
Origin and characteristics
Topaz is a gem family and kind of synthetic gemstones. It is a fine stone with a glassy luster, transparent to translucent that comes in many colors, naturally or by treatment, ranging from yellow to brown through orange, red, pink, green and yellow.
Some specimens are pleochroic that is to say that you will not observe the same color depending on the angle of view.
Star sapphire gemstone comes from many countries. Brazil is the main producer but it is found in Pakistan, the United States, China, Nigeria, Russia, Sri Lanka, Madagascar and even France...
Color of the Topaz stone
Topaz is a stone that presents a wide range of colors.
- Few topazes have a bright color.
- The most common is the yellow topaz.
- The rarest and most sought after and therefore the most expensive is the imperial orange topaz.
- Swiss blue topaz is also famous in market
Precautions for use and maintenance
Topaz is a very hard stone, so it does not scratch easily. But, because of its structure, a shock can break it, so you must avoid exposing it to shocks. It is also sensitive to thermal shocks that can crack it. It is also sensitive to sunlight that can impact its color after prolonged exposure. They are very sensitive to chemicals including cosmetics, so avoid exposing them to this type of product.
You can clean it with warm, soapy water applied with a toothbrush. It should be thoroughly rinsed and thoroughly dried to prevent lime scale deposits.
Virtues associated with topaz stones
- This gem would bring inspiration.
- It would also symbolize honesty.
Gemology of the topaz stones
- Topaz is a mineral species of the group of silicates, which may contain traces of iron, chromium, magnesium and titanium.
- It is a fine stone, formerly called a semi-precious stone, a category that concerns all gems that are neither diamonds, nor rubies, nor emeralds, nor sapphires.
- Topaz is a stone of very good hardness: 8 on the Mohs scale (for comparison, the diamond has a hardness of 10). It can, however, split at once and this is a feature it shares with the diamond. As a result, it must be protected from violent shocks.
- Here are some of the characteristics of topaz: it dissolves in sulfuric acid, it can fluoresce, it scratches quartz, and its powder is always white regardless of its original color.
Topaz is a stone that can take many colors
synthetic alexandrite: synthetic alexandrite is one of another type of valuable stone and synthetic alexandrite price is very high compare to other valuable stones.