A printer driver is a software that is developed to help specific operating systems, like Windows 10, communicate with the Dell printer. If you give the command to perform a particular action, for example, print a page, your computer will convey the command to the printer via the printer driver. The printer driver is the main mode of communications between your Windows computer and your Dell printer, so much so that without the driver any printer you connect to your computer will not work smoothly. That is why it is very important to install the correct driver on your Windows 10 operating system if you want to run Dell devices and applications. You can contact Dell customer support and consult a trained Dell expert to know which driver you need to install. You can also spend a few minutes and go through this article to get a better idea about how to update your driver on Windows 10.
Steps to install Dell driver updates for windows 10
Dell users must keep in mind that not every printer will have the available drivers of Windows 10. If you find that Windows 10 drivers are not available for your Dell printer you can use the Compatibility Mode and complete the installation from previous versions of Windows. You can follow the steps below to install Dell printer drivers from an older version of Windows:
- Go to the Dell Driver and Downloads site and enter the service tag of your Dell printer to receive the drivers for your printer model
- Go to the ‘Operation System’ menu and select the most recent option listed.
- Search the category column and make a note of any file listed as ‘Application’ or perhaps ‘Drivers for OS Deployment’.
- Click the icon on the right of the relevant file to download it and save the file on your computer.
- Right-click the Dell driver file you downloaded and select ‘Properties’.
- Go to the Compatibility tab and click ‘Change Settings for All Users.’
- Press the relevant option to run the program in compatibility mode.
- Open the drop-down menu and select the OS that corresponds to the operating system of the Dell driver you downloaded. Click ‘Apply’ and ‘Ok’ to confirm the action.
- Right-click the Dell driver file that was saved and click ‘Run as Administrator’.
- When the ‘User Account Control’ appears, press ‘Yes’ to begin the installation process and proceed by completing the prompts to install the Dell printer software on your Windows 10 device.
Users should note that different Dell devices may have different steps when it comes to installing the driver updates. If you have any trouble completing the steps mentioned in this article you should contact Dell Customer Service and speak to a certified professional to get a better idea about how to complete the installation process. Dell experts are available 24 hours a day to give you any additional technical support you may need when it comes to Dell driver update for your Windows 10 computer.