One of the worst things that could happen to you is to have a sonorous person as a spouse or a roommate. A snoring partner can keep one awake depriving him or her of the much-needed sleep. Snoring is a nuisance, and the problem becomes more pronounced as we age. Snoring, if unattended to, can lead to serious ailments, including heart disease. Let us look at a few suggested but time-tested ways and means to help you stop snoring.
Treatment of the Problem
Consult a doctor, who will perform a physical exam, and may recommend a sleep test if your situation so warrants. The sleep test will determine if you are suffering from sleep apnea. The doctor will arrive at a conclusion based on the results of your test, and would advise you how to quit snoring.
Your doctor may suggest any of the following methods of treatment:
- Lifestyle Changes and Modifications:
- The doctor may suggest a few sleep positions, and may ask you to avoid others.
- Keep yourself active by going for a morning walk, going to a gym, or by doing yoga.
- It is essential that you keep your weight under control, do make a conscientious effort to bring down your weight if you are overweight. You will notice that is a sure-fire cure for snoring.
- Stop smoking, as it is one of the very important factors for snoring.
- If you suffer from snoring, you are advised to clean your nasal passages regularly.
- Limit the intake of alcohol just before bedtime.
- Avoid sedatives at bedtime.
- Makes sure that you get plenty of sleep.
- Drink plenty of water and stay hydrated.
- It is also suggested to use chewing gum to exercise the mouth, tongue, jaw, and facial muscles.
- Surgery: Your doctor may suggest a surgery, called Somnoplasty if your case warrants. It is medical procedure which combats snoring by removing the excess tissues of the uvula and soft palate. This may also involve removing the tonsils and adenoids.
- CPAP: Use of a CPAP - Continuous Positive Airway Pressure Appliance - may be advised by the doctor. The appliance blows air from the room into the back of the throat, preventing it from collapse.
- Anti Snoring Devices and Solutions: There are several anti snoring devices available in the market that help in the prevention of snoring, which include anti-snoring solutions and nasal dilators or sprays. They have been known to effectively stop snoring without being too intrusive unlike other methods like surgery and CPAP.
If you snore, or if you observe any of the following symptoms or signs, be sure to consult a doctor:
- Excessive sleepiness or drowsiness during the day
- Headaches during the day, especially in the mornings
- Weight gained recently
- Waking up in the morning with the feeling of fatigue and not having rested
- Change in concentration levels, or difficulty in remembering
- Changes in your breathing pattern during sleep
Snoring is undoubtedly an annoying problem not only for the one who suffers from it but also who has to sleep with such a person. The treatment options of snoring mentioned above can surely direct you to the right path and help in combating the problem. Choose one that suits your needs and symptoms.